Black Lives Matter. BD Stands in Solidarity.Friday, June 5, 2020
For over thirty years Black Diamond Equipment’s mission has been to build the most trustworthy, innovative outdoor equipment and apparel so that our customers can experience their best days in the mountains. This is a straight-forward objective compared to the challenges we are facing today as a nation. We acknowledge that this isn’t an area where we have a lot of prior experience, so we enter this conversation with humility and commit to continue to listen and learn from those around us. Most of us at Black Diamond have never felt pain or injustice from racism before.
All the more reason that we stand in solidarity with the families of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, Eric Garner and the many other Black lives that have been tragically cut short and negatively impacted by systemic racism. Black Lives Matter. Racism has no place in our world and Black Diamond stands with peaceful protesters as the fight against injustice goes on.
Simply stating this is not enough and is not the BD way. In the same way that we have fought for issues of access, advocacy, conservation and preservation in our past, we need to take action against the injustices of systemic racism that are so prevalent in our society today. We need to listen and learn from those affected by discrimination and work together with the outdoor industry to address making positive change on both local and national levels. In addition to solidarity, we promise our commitment to this cause.
We realize this is only the start of a long journey, and have begun by taking these immediate steps against racial inequality in our respective industry and the respective sports that Black Diamond serves:
- We will expand our network of partnerships and brand affiliations to include organizations which will better help us to reach our goal; more access to more people in the outdoors.
- We will support events and initiatives that eliminate barriers to participation in the outdoors. These initiatives will include the support of existing (and creation of new) events that promote diversity in the outdoor space, scholarship programs, as well as furthering education opportunities.
- We will dedicate additional funds to grow our athlete roster and feature better representation and visibility of our of Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) ambassadors and their stories.
- We will promote Black Diamond’s BIPOC ambassadors in our marketing content and platforms to help make diversity of the outdoors more present in the community.
- We will launch a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee to help us better educate employees on issues of racial inequality in the workplace and implement change to business practices, systems and infrastructure that potentially lead to discriminatory results.
- In an initial response to this crisis, Black Diamond pledged $250,000 USD to support people of color in the outdoors.
This is only the beginning. We hold ourselves accountable and will share additional details with the community as we introduce and develop our programs. We are listening, learning, and mobilizing resources to be more inclusive, add diversity and to better support the Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) community.